Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Steak Fiasco

   Well, I've miscounted my weeks here, and I have more ahead of me than I once thought. I thought yesterday marked four weeks left, but I was sadly mistaken. Instead, I will be fighting to survive for five more weeks.
   On my days off, I experience wonderful, new, and beautiful things and am just happy to be where I am. But during the work week, I am starting to get seriously burned out. My joints always hurt, my feet always ache, and even when I try to get enough sleep, most days result in a midday nap that can't come soon enough. Yesterday was particularly brutal, other than the ice cream sundae party I organized.
   Breakfast was busy, and we had so many time-consuming rooms to change. On top of that I had to fill in for the chef last night. I finished cleaning rooms around 2, and immediately starting prepping dinner. Our ice cream party was at 3, and I had dinner in the oven by 4:10. Then I had to work the barbecue, which started much better than expected and was actually pretty fun, though it's a really good thing that it rained and we had to do it inside. But then we had thirteen orders for sirloin steaks, which is pretty much unheard of for BBQ nights. We only had six thawed. I starting thawing more when we were down to four, and still it resulted in angry customers and angry bosses. It wasn't exactly my fault, but it was my responsibility. It would have been irresponsible to thaw that many steaks anyway, but still.
   I'm over it. So last night, we finally get off, I finally get to sit and soak my feet. With five people hanging out in our little front room, I announce that I hope tomorrow will be easier. They inform me that the room load is heavy again today. This morning, I could barely get out of bed, but I finally did. And as I'm brushing my teeth, someone comes in and tells me I could have slept in. I mean, I obviously went back to bed for an hour, but still. Little frustrating.
   Fingers crossed, today won't be that bad. I'm counting down the minutes until I can sleep in Tuesday morning and not have to deal with filling syrup containers and choking on 409 for two days.
  
   Now that that rant is over, I thought I'd tell those of you who don't know about my living arrangements. I live downstairs in a two story cabin in a room with two other girls. We have a little front room and we all share a small bathroom with a box of a shower (you can forget about shaving!). When I first got here, I grinned and bore it, but little did I know I was lucky to be downstairs. Upstairs holds six people, and there are no doors. Everyone has there own little nook and many have chosen to string up curtains for privacy. even the bathroom has a curtain for a door, as do the two showers and two toilets inside. But there's also a cute little balcony upstairs, which is nice to sit out on during a day off when it's breezy. Up the driveway a ways are four or five other rooms with a couple people each. My cabin is right next to the lodge and the maid's closet, which I suppose is convenient, but also loud.
   Staff meals are at 6AM, 11AM, and 5PM, and if you miss them, you can starve. Lately I've been skipping breakfast so I can sleep for another 30-40 minutes. We serve breakfast to guests 7-9 and dinner 6-8, although it's not a night at BCR if someone doesn't come in five to closing. In between, we clean cabins and hope to get a break.
   I am so excited to go home, but I wish I wasn't because it makes it hard to live in the moment. I know I will miss this place, and I know I want to come back, just as a vacation next time. I know after a week of being home I'll want to come back, but I'm seriously so excited to go home and start school and kick-start my videography opportunities. One day at a time, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment