Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I Shot a Gun!

   I would say the epitome of my time here is the fact that everyone is going out yet again tonight, and I'm staying in, laying on the couch, watching High School Musical 3 for the third time this week. And I'm pretty much okay with that.
   This past week has been a whirlwind of mood swings. I had a couple of really good days, then a couple of really bad days, and today I'm just feeling alone and introspective like I always do when I have little to no social interaction. This past week, I've been really trying to live in the moment and enjoy my last few weeks here, and some days it worked. Today is not one of those days. On my bad days, half the time I don't even know why I'm grumpy. The other night we all went to Wal-mart and I don't know why, but I was just done with everything and everyone and I felt like poop, and I just wanted to be in bed two hours earlier than I actually got there. I still have a lot of trouble getting my ass out of bed every morning. Just like with school, I think if I could sleep in a couple more hours, the day would be so much more productive. But alas. Every time I'm starting to really enjoy my time here, even while I'm working, something happens to put me back in my place and in a bad mood.
   But how about I share some of this week's good memories? For only the second time, I went out with most of my co-workers to a bar called YVI. It also happened to be karaoke night, which is probably the only reason I could get myself to go. I sang three songs (Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill, and Miranda Lambert), then a duet with another co-worker, Jordanne, to "Leave the Pieces" by the Wreckers, and yes, I have video evidence. I also had a virgin daiquiri, which makes any night a better one. I was surprisingly awake all night, except for almost falling asleep on the way home. I felt honored to receive a compliment on my voice as we hauled ass up the driveway, admiring those surreal stars. It was actually a really fun night, and I hope to go again before I leave.
   The night after, Amanda, Angela, and I built a bonfire up near the corrals and sat around and talked for a couple hours. Those stars are seriously mind-blowing. I could look at them for hours. If I weren't so scared of bugs, I'd just lie on the ground and stare up at them to minimize neck kinks. It was a simple night, but a memorable one. I even saw my first shooting star!!
   Over the last eleven days, the New York Yankees' recruiter and his family, the Rowlands, had been staying with us. They are all such incredible, loving, humble people. They taught me how to shoot my first gun! They had a BB gun tournament with cans and targets they hung out behind their cabin. I did surprisingly well, the best one on my team (aside from the Mom, of course). I had several conversations with them throughout their stay and thoroughly enjoyed all of their stories. I really wish I could have asked more questions and heard more stories, but time and work didn't permit it. They left this morning, and I didn't get a chance to say goodbye.
   Following the trend of interesting guests, I served a couple from Georgia, who made great conversation, and also a sixteen-year-old piano prodigy with paid film gigs – only a junior in high school! After I talked with mostly his grandmother during breakfast, I mentioned being a film student, which triggered even more conversation. This kid, Adam Beesley, for future stardom reference, made his first school project in eighth grade, and his high school liked it so much they hired him to do stuff for the school. A bunch of other people have contacted him for work, too. Then after the meal, he sat down at the piano and blew our minds. He played absolutely gorgeous renditions of Let It Go, Beauty and the Beast, Part of Your World, I See the Light, and many more. He showed me the (LONGEST FREAKIN) list of songs he knew. Oh, he also can't read sheet music. He plays by ear. He can hear a song on the radio, then come home and play it. I picked out a couple songs and sang with him. I really wish I had my camera handy. I would have loved to see us do I Dreamed a Dream. He was basically just the coolest kid ever, and I wish he'd been three years older.

   I wanted to go on my first trail ride today, but that fell through. Instead, I snacked all day because I'm out of coloring material, and watched movies and tried to bear with the slowest internet in the world. Then I took a nap. Then I continued the snacking and movie watching. Tomorrow I'm happily going back to the museum, even though I already saw all of it. I won't have a car, so Kate will drop me there on her way to Powell. I'll spend as long as I can there, then maybe walk a couple blocks down Sheridan to visit the trinkety tourist shops. I have my eye on some huckleberry pajama pants and sibling Christmas presents.
   Okay, y'all. Three and a half weeks. They may be dragging, but they're all I've got left in Wyoming, and I'm trying to make the best of them. Happiness is a choice!!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment